Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hello Dolly!


Dolly Parton is a legend. She is an amazing woman in so many ways. I have never been a fan of country music, but I love her. Not only as a singer but, as a person...and who can you really say that about in the entertainment industry these days? Dolly is a self-made woman. She grew up in backwoods Appalachia with 11 brothers and sisters in a teeny-tiny house.  At the ripe old age of 11 she was singing on Tennessee radio stations and her career took off from there. She has won countless awards, has her own theme park (where I am dying to go), starred in many memorable movies (Steal Magnolias, 9 to 5 anyone?,) and influenced a multitude of other entertainers. The thing I love most about Dolly is that she has done all of these things just being herself. She has never been deceptive about her life or her choices. While I am not an advocate of plastic surgery myself, I do commend her for being open about her choices (there's nothing worse than a star who claims she's never had work done when it is totally obvious.) In movies, she's hardly playing a part, because she doesn't have to. She's also been married to the same man since 1966, Carl Thomas Dean, who has avoided publicity and never accompanies her to events. Her life has been a creative outpouring of truth and virtue, growing up dirt poor to become one the most famous people in the entire world, all while being true to herself and her marriage. I would highly reccomend her autobiography, My Life and Other Unfinished Business . I read this in about two days and was truly inspired. Dolly is an adventurer, fearless in being herself and blazing the way for women everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment