Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bees are feminists too


Honey bees fascinate me. Aside from being a librarian, I would really like to have my own hive someday. These creatures are absolutely imperative on the survival of human beings. The tasty honey we love to add to our tea is not the only way humans can benefit from bees, they pollinate every crop of fruit and vegetable that we eat, that our pets eat, that the animals we eat eat. They fascinate me because of their significance for human existence, but I also find them so interesting because their colonies are almost completely female.  The Queen is obviously the most important bee in the hive, but every worker bee is also female. They do have drones, but their one job is to fertilize the eggs of the queen, they live only about eight months and are then driven out of the hive. I find honey bees to be quite mysterious because of this phenomenon and I cannot wait to have my own hive so I can get to know them better. Honey has a lot of beneficial qualities, cosmetic, holistic, and medicinal. You can use honey mixed with yogurt or avocado and banana and make a wonderful mask for the hair or skin. A drop in some hot water with some lemon provides and instant soothing remedy for a sore throat, and if you have allergies, buy local honey, as the pollen in the honey is the same as the pollen you're having a reaction to and will help build up a natural immunity to it. We must all hold the honey bee sacred, as our survival as a species depends upon them. Einstein has been quoted as saying that, "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left". We better watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment